Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Perfect Pair

Oh, the time I spend looking.  Searching.  Hunting.  If Miss A has one thing, Miss M must have the match, and vice versa.  There is 2 of almost everything in this house.  If not a duplicate, a variation.  For Cinderella there is Belle.  For Mickey there is Minnie.  For cow there is pig.  Blue crocs, pink crocs.  Yellow cup, purple cup.  It used to be high chairs, exer-saucers,  bouncy chairs, Bumbos, you name it, we have two.  Now it's mainly toys.  And potties.  We have four of those.  My husband recently called me an 'inventory freak'.  He's right, I am. Since my girls were born, I've counted.  Everything.  Before I went anywhere, or left anywhere, I had to do inventory.  2 soothers, 2 blankies, 2 bibs, 2 (or 4, or 6) toys, 4 socks, 4 shoes, 4 mittens, etc.  It gets worse as they get older, because a) I have less control over where things go and b) not only does it drive me crazy when something gets left behind, they notice and they drive me crazy too.  "Where's pig Mommy?  We have to find pig.  Where is he Mommy?  Can you find him?  No, you look upstairs Mommy.  Please, Mommy?"  It doesn't stop, which is why I hunt, and why I count.

Is two of everything necessary?  No, definitely not.  The girls share very well for 2 1/2 year-olds, in my opinion.  I think this is one of the benefits of twin-ship, that sharing is a concept learned from very early on.  However, they also learn interactive play from early on, which is one reason why we do have so many duplicates.  Not that they can't share, but because they like to play together so much, and having two of the same toy often makes that easier for them.  Instead of negotiating (or fighting) about whose turn it is, it's easier for me not to have to referee, and nicer for them to each have their own.  And I can't lie, I love to see 2 little pairs of fairy wings running around the corner, or two trucks racing each other across the kitchen floor.

But more important than any other pair is the pair of them.  What a gift.  What a bond.  I've marveled at it since they were infants.  My girls truly are the perfect pair.  They do everything together, and when they're apart (rarely) they're each asking about the other.  They play together, sing together, dance together, giggle in the dark together, comfort each other, and truly love one another.  So when I hear almost daily from someone who tells me they want twins, it's hard not to think, 'yeah, you do'.

No comments:

Post a Comment