Friday, September 10, 2010

A (half) day in the life...

It's only 2:20 p.m., but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed today, and I thought it might be interesting to write down why.  Fridays are my stay-at-home-mom days, because I feel guilty working full time, and that gives me a day (in theory) to do things around the house that I'd rather not do on the weekend.  Ha!  So here is my day so far...

1 a.m.  Crying.  Loud crying.  Into the girls' room, and I blindly find my daughter crying on the floor.  She fell out of her new big girl bed (it was night #2, first night went great).  Get her settled very quickly, she's asleep almost immediately after I put her back in bed.  I feel my way over to her sister's bed to cover her up.  Where is she?  On the floor on a mound of blankets, asleep.  Back into the bed.   The beds have guardrails, but only about 1/3 of the way across, and they still sleep in every direction. Mental note to get longer guard rails.

6 a.m.  One girl awake (same one that woke up at 1), but she's not really awake.  Bring her into bed with me, and she sleeps with me (after we lay down and then she makes me go back to her bed for her baby and her water) for about 45 minutes, then tells me she wants to go back to her bed.  Up again, hoping that I can get 15 more minutes, but when we go back to her room, her sister is awake saying "I'm really hungry mommy".  I'm up.

7 a.m.  Cereal for one.  Porridge for the other.  Then cereal too.  One needs a big girl cup, the other needs a baby (sippy) cup, which I'm happy to give her, because otherwise she'll dump her milk out.  I eat all of the leftover cereal, which seems like small amounts, but probably adds up to way more than I should have eaten for breakfast.  Poopie bum, wet bum, changed.  Then a poopie bum almost immediately after the clean diaper went on.  Play.  Read some books.  Clean up breakfast. Girls have an orange..

9 a.m.  Go upstairs to get the girls dressed and do some laundry.  I have an overwhelming amount of laundry to do because we had visitors for 2 weeks who left on Tuesday.  One girl dressed.  Other girl has a poopie bum again (she seriously poops 3-4 times a day, I think that's why she's so tiny).  I run downstairs to get diaper cream because she's susceptible to rashes, and when I come back upstairs, I find her with her poopie diaper strewn on the floor, and she's sitting on the toilet in my bathroom, even though there are two little pottys on the floor.  (To appreciate this, you have to imagine a very tiny 2 year old hoisting her little bum over the huge bowl with all of her strength).  She's never done this before, but they have a new seat that goes on the big potty at grandma's house, so she thought she'd give it a try.  "Are you peeing?".  "No mommy, but it's coming pretty soon".  Okay.  No pee, off the toilet we go.  Now I have poop to clean off her bum, off the toilet, off the bathroom floor, oh, and now that giant teddy bear she just ran and jumped on.  Why didn't I catch her?  Because her sister was getting undressed, because this looked like great fun, and wanted to flush the toilet.  Okay, everybody sit on the little pottys.  Yes, we can wear panties today.  Clean up.  Panties on.  Downstairs with pottys we go.

10 a.m.  A few potty attempts.  Snack time.  Yogurt for one, mini bran muffin for the other. While we are snacking, a pee accident on my kitchen chair that has a fabric seat.  Stay calm.  Clean up.  Let's go for a change of scenery.  Off to the store (in diapers) to look for winter boots.

11 a.m.  We did great at the store, except that I caved and let them get a cookie from the bakery that I didn't want them to have.  Today was the first time they actually asked for it.  Yikes, what I bad habit I've started.  We didn't buy boots, but the girls ran around in some for awhile.  I'm starting to hear a lot more "Mommy, I want that" at the store now.  I can ignore that though.  I only gave into the cookie, because it works so well, and I can shop in relative peace.

12 p.m.  Home.  Hands washed.  Leftovers for lunch.  I discover a package leaked all over my fridge and into the produce drawers.  Yuck.  Semi-clean up, the rest I leave for nap time.  Groceries half put away.  Poopie bum, wet bum.  Up to their room to read stories. 

1 p.m.  Stay in your big girl beds and close your eyes.  Almost instantly, they're out.  First warning.  I do some laundry. Second warning, I sit in the chair in their room for a bit.  They're calm, I leave.  Third warning.  I snap, not a proud mommy moment.  Then I feel bad and try to give cuddles so they're relaxed and drift off.  Didn't work.  Fourth warning.  I move one girl to the other room where a playpen is set up for my nephew.  A bit of crying from both.  Some cuddles, and one girl asleep by 1:45.  Singing coming from the other room.  Too much singing.  I go in, she's totally naked except for socks, which she's wearing on her hands.  Diaper on, clothes on, cuddles, calm, back to the big girl bed.  Shhh, your sister is sleeping.  I come downstairs, and I hear whispering on the monitor "wake up sister... wake up".  Oh no no, not after all that.  I sit beside my daughter's bed until she drifts off.  OMG, that took over an hour.  Big girl beds is tough.  

2:20 p.m.  Sitting at the computer.  Not cleaning the fridge.  Clock is ticking, back to work

2 comments:

  1. While I was reading that, it made me think of the days I hear, "I would love to have twins" and although it's truly a blessing...having two at the same age, going through the same milestones together...is a TON of work! Sounds like a busy day! Our boys are still in separate rooms and they continue waking one-another up. GO FIGURE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one who slept my twins in separate rooms! They're back to napping separately, one in my bed. Whatever works, I guess.

    ReplyDelete