Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Sounds of Music

Oh, how I love our music class.  I don't know if I can even capture it in words, but I'll try.

I grew up surrounded by music.  My mom is a music teacher, and from the time I was about 3 years old our living room was her music studio.  I took piano lessons for several years, albeit reluctantly.  At the time I resented it, but now of course I'm very thankful that I wasn't given the option to quit.  Seeing how my mother built a very successful career for herself over the last thirty-some years, I can see why it was important to her that I pursue an education in music.  I've heard her speech many times to parents considering pulling their kids from lessons, citing the many proven benefits that kids gain from music education: improved mathematical skills, better hand-eye coordination, etc. And of course, that their kids likely won't be doing karate or gymnastics when they're 70 years old, but playing the piano, most definitely.

My girls were in their first music class at 6 weeks old.  Grandma had a bit of influence there, as you may imagine, and she was with us at every class.  We took a brief hiatus after that, I'm not sure why... perhaps the maternity-leave budget, perhaps exhaustion, but I think it was because when they were that little I felt a little intimidated going to classes without an extra set of hands to help, and those weren't always available.  Anyways, we returned to music classes at nine months old, and we haven't stopped since.  The learning that takes place - at our classes, or as a direct result of our classes - blows my mind.  I remember the first moment I saw it clearly... Miss A was about 10 months old, and as we put her toothbrush away she sang two notes, 'bom, bom', which we regularly sing as we put things away (instruments, scarves, etc.) in class.  Without any prompting, our infant made the connection, remembered it, and applied it to another situation.  I was sold.

I'm proud of my girls' appreciation and love of music.  They ask for us to put on music almost every day.  They can sing many songs from beginning to end, in pitch, with the correct rhythm.  And now I hear them composing, making up lyrics of their own, but to a tune we know.  It's fascinating.  I also get to see how my girls are growing and developing in a group setting.  They don't attend a day care or day home, so music class is one of the main venues where they have the opportunity to socialize and to build those skills.  They're fairly shy at the beginning of each semester, staying close to me (attached to me), but as the weeks go on, I see their confidence build.  They venture out on their own more and more, showing off their dance moves, copying our teacher's actions, and singing out loud in our circle. 

Music enriches our lives.  Period.  I could probably leave it at that, but I feel compelled to expand.  Music has entertained us through countless car rides, has brought us out of tantrums, distracted us when we're scared, comforted us when we're sad, calmed us before bed, and brought us endless hours of family fun, singing and dancing together.  Those are the moments you dream of when you dream of being a parent, and music has been such a big part of it for us.  Music is magic, it truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment